Thursday, November 18, 2010

Humdrum Autumn

Ginkgo and Oak leaves mixing
on the pathways of the park.
Hello to all you adoring fans! I would like to apologize for my lack of cool and interesting activities which leads to few blog posts. The past few weeks here have been filled with monotonous classes and cold, rainy weather. I have still been able to enjoy myself for the most part. Since returning from Italy I have appreciated the ability to communicate so much more, even with my meager French skills. It's similar to the fact that one feels more American when they leave the States; I realize how much French I understand when surrounded by Italian (of which I know very little).
My socks! (and me being lazy
on my bed).
One of my latest accomplishments was knitting a pair of socks last week. The project only took me the week (another sign of how uneventful it was). It's exciting though because I hadn't gotten myself to finish a sock before coming to France. Personally, I think it has to do with working at the knit shop twice a week and with the fact that the other excellent knitter on my program just happens to live in the next room. It was really funny when we found that we have knitting as a mutual passion. We have had continuous projects going our entire stay and have gotten many of the other girls on our program knitting as well. The other international students must think that Americans knit like crazy!
My classes for the most part have been going well. I say "for the most part" because I have lately found myself growing quite bored with them. The language classes are the same most days; we read aloud from our text book, work on exercises and listen to lectures on grammar. I am becoming a huge fan of the 10 week quarters at K. Semesters are so long! It's almost over though. Only three more weeks of classes and one of exams! Then I'm off to Paris to meet my family!! I bought my ticket from Strasbourg to Paris just the other day so it's official, but still hard to believe. And so exciting! À plus!

3 comments:

Paulita said...

Those socks look like an intricate pattern. Congrats. Grace is teaching her friends to knit too, but they're only on scarves. I can't believe your family is going to visit you in Paris. Awesome!

Mark said...

So much for the hand-made beret. Looks like you're concentrating on the other end of the body. :) I, too, am soooo looking forward to coming to see you. Don't forget, your father knows less French than you do Italian! I think I might be able to identify a dog and a cat in french!

Michelle said...

I'd say your classes are going well...being nominated for a scholarship to extend your time abroad is fantastic! Congrats on your achievements in the classroom and on your needles!
I'm glad you're getting a rest and things have 'settle down' a tad. We'll have you hopping in about a month!!!
Watch out Paris and London...here we come! :)