Sunday, January 16, 2011

Flying Home

Hello all! As I type, I'm using the free wifi on my flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Detroit, Michigan. It has been impossible for me to acknowledge that this isn't another planned program excursion where I'll be back at my host mom's house tonight. I bet it'll hit me in a few days. Yesterday (my last day in Strasbourg), I spent the afternoon walking around town and running last minute errands and picking up some final souvenirs. My heart was heavy as I road on the tram past the buildings and over the Rhine river that have become so familiar. Leaving Strasbourg made me realize how much I've enjoyed the city. It seemed so big at first, but over time, I was able to connect the streets and different areas in my mind and discovered that, in reality, Strasbourg is much smaller than my home town.
Going back is a must. The entire time that I was abroad there was an end date in the back of my mind; "I'll be home on January 16th, this *insert cultural challenge* is only temporary. But what about when I'll be back in France? I don't have that security blanket, that live-to date to ease the sadness of leaving. I'll just have to lean on the confidence that I will make it happen some day.
Heading home is exciting in it's own way. I'll be able to cook my own food, use my cell phone and set up my own exercise routine again. And not to mention that seeing my full wardrobe for the first time after almost five months will be like shopping in my own personalized store! I've been missing many of the brighter colored articles and tee-shirts. And sweatpants! Oh what comfort awaits me.
I hope you have enjoyed following me around France and Europe. It's been fun updating this blog every week with stories and pictures of all my new experiences. Looking back on my entries has been a neat pastime for me to do myself. Who knows, I may even start another blog during my senior research project or to document my experiments with knitting projects and designs. I'll keep you posted! Au revoir!

3 comments:

Paulita said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Michelle said...

It has been a true joy to travel with you by reading your delightful posts. I love you. Welcome home.

Mark said...

What a trip! When did you say the next adventure starts? Sign me up!