Sunday, September 26, 2010

Alsace: Hundreds of Years in 10cl

Wow. What a weekend. I'm getting tired just thinking about it! Let me catch you up.
On the viewing deck.
Friday was awesome. My entire program skipped their classes for the day and went on our first excursion. Our first stop was an Alsace Memorial museum where we took a guided tour (in French) and had some time to hang out. The museum had a large covered terrace like area in front that had a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains and villages. Because the far end of the deck was lined with a glass barrier, it was almost as if we could simply walk off the edge and fall into the picturesque landscape. The weather was a little brisk because we were at a higher altitude so the light wind passing through added a pinch to the reality of looking at French countryside. It was hard to leave.
A small fraction of
the chateau.

Our next destination was the Château de Haut Koenigsbourg even higher on another mountain. The bus ride was an adventure in itself; the road wound back and forth across one side of the mountain and it often seemed that at any moment the tall, awkward and quickly moving bus would careen off the ledge called a road and never be heard of again. But we made it (unless you never hear from me again, than search the mountains of northern France for a bus of lost and hungry Americans).
Despite the entertaining bus ride, everyone was feeling a little lazy as we got off the bus into the cold, rainy weather at the top. We hadn't seen anything but trees and the lack of trees (depending on what direction the bus was going at that moment) so excitement ensued immediately when we reached the top of the path and saw the castle walls. It was amazing! Just being there and walking around inside felt like a time-warp. And the fog/clouds throughout the courtyard and outer areas made it seem as if just around the corner you'd run into someone dressed in full Renaissance garb. I wouldn't have objected to having some myself; those castles are drafty!
Me, in the grand courtyard.


The guide at the château was really good. He spoke completely in French (of course) but he was fun to listen to because he was very animated and would make comments about people in our group and on our knowledge of history (or lack there of). We had a little extra time after the tour to look around the château on our own and attempt to find hiding places that would allow us to stay. Sadly, we weren't able to find any nooks far enough off the tour path to avoid discovery so we were herded back on the bus towards dinner.
Our last stop for the day was in the little town of Kaysersberg where we ate dinner at Restaurant au Lion d'Or (The Golden Lion). It was a delicious meal of Quiche Lorraine, battered chicken with green beans and tomatoes, and a small chocolate cake with English cream for dessert. All with Pinot Noir wine on the side. To my disappointment (and to the dismay of my reputation as a tourist), I forgot to take out my camera out at dinner. Thought I will vouch for it's deliciousness. The remainder of the day was spent going home, either by bus or bike (yes! I finally rented a bike!).
On Saturday, I spent the afternoon walking through vineyards. Yeah, I know you don't want to hear about such a stereotypically French thing to do, but you'll just have to suffer. When I agreed to go wine tasting with my friend MacKenzie and her host mom, I didn't realize that I signed up to roam the countryside for over 6 hours, but man, I wouldn't have changed a thing. We arrived in a little French town about half an hour outside of Strasbourg and I was very excited. One, because I was spending the entire afternoon with one of my best friends, and two, because this is a little French town we're talking about! And I mean, who wouldn't be excited to have the chance to walk through French vineyards with a French guide who lives down the street?

Me, yet again, with miles
of vineyards in the background
It wasn't until about an hour in that I was told that in order to provide the best sun exposure, grapes are always planted on hills. Oh my goodness.
My legs fell off and had to be reattached. Twice. But it was worth it! The day was wonderful (chilly, and overcast with a little rain in the beginning) and the grapes were so good! Since the hike was literally through the vineyards, it was easy to pull off a few grapes here and there and taste them. Kenzie and I were able to narrow down to our favorite types of grapes and later matched them to the wines we were sampling. The best follow up to a walk through miles of grapes is wine made from them! So far, my favorite all around was the Pinot Gris, made from a green grape with purple tints on the skin. The last wine we tasted was a vendanges tardive. It was served last because of how sweet it is. They are made from grapes harvested very late in the season, allowing their sugar to concentrate and creating a fabulous dessert wine. They can be made from almost any type of grape as long as they are harvested about the time after the first frost. See how much I learned! *grins proudly like a small child*

Gewurztraminer grapes.
One of my favorites!
The people on the hike as well as the gentleman who served the wine seemed to enjoy chatting with us two "mademoiselles americaine". They asked us a lot about where we lived, how we were liking France and such. They also had fun picking our brains on the history of Alsace, which was a lot of picking with little reward. We learned about a doctor from Alsace who traveled to Africa and opened lots of medical centers as well as about a famous race car driver born here who has won some grands titles. The gentleman at the winery spent lot of time explaining the types of wines and how they're made and even translated what he could into English for us. It was a grand time!
Pinot Blanc. Sweet,
but also quite good.
There was one point when our guide asked us if there is wine where we live. Kenzie and I looked at each other and said that yes, there is though it's not at all as good in comparison to the wine here. We also pointed out that technically, we're not allowed to drink it in the US. He gave us the same 'that's-funny-wait-you're-not-kidding-how-surprising-you're-already-an-adult' expression that my host mom and other's have given. We just grin and compliment the wine again.

Today was a lazy day spent cleaning my room and watching Serenity with my friend Alana. A much needed break since the last couple of days were so adventure-full. There's a rumor going around that next weekend there will be a trip to Paris... I'll keep you posted! À plus!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love your combination of pictures and story. And it's great to see you in the vineyard and at the castle. :)