Friday, September 24, 2010

Beauty in Blues

It's hard for me to believe that I left my house three weeks ago, almost to the minute (taking time zones into account). In some ways, it feels like we're been here for months. The city shrinks significantly and becomes more familiar everyday as I learn to navigate the tram, rent a bike, or take wrong turns to the point where two chunks of the city connect by winding back streets. My classes are similar day to day and I've gotten down the response to my host mom's "how was school today?" when I walk past the kitchen every evening.
Rear view of Place d'Athens on campus
(my favorite sky above it)
It also feels like I just got here. Waiting at a tram stop yesterday, a woman who was looking at the map of the tram line behind me turned and asked which one was going in a certain direction. I told her what I thought answered her question to get in response a quizzical look and: "vous etes étranger, non." In other words "you're foreign." I smiled, a little confused, and simply said "oui".
I am. No matter how hard I try to integrate into the society, the culture, their way of living, walking, speaking, there is no way that I can become French. In the small amount of time that I'm staying here anyway. Trying is all I can do but I'll admit, it's getting tough. Everyday I get better at listening and comprehending what is being said to me, but everyday I still get a confused look from my host mom when I start to explain the events of my day or when I have to repeat myself two or three times to order lunch.
Me, in Place d'Athens.
"Hi!"
Don't get me wrong; I'm having a wonderful time. Strasbourg hasn't ceased to astound me in some shape or form when I least expect it. There is one street that I pass on my way to school (named Wimpheling) that, especially in the morning sunlight, is the most beautiful city street to ever exist. And these past few days, the sky has looked absolutely heavenly; filled with my favorite wispy clouds and colored one of the prettiest blues. And the Parc de l'Orangerie never fails to raise my spirits.
Wimpheling, with no justice done to its beauty
what-so-ever.
On our way home from our last class today, my roommate and I rode her bike. Yes, she and I rode her bike.
Don't give me that look!
We were actually quite successful. One of us sat in the seat with our feet dangling while the other peddled and steered. It was so much fun and we were laughing almost the entire way. I'm planning on getting my bike tomorrow so if you're one of those people who's worrying about it (you know who you are), worry no more.
Speaking of tomorrow, we're all skipping our classes and going on the first excursion for our program. I'm so excited! We're going to (pulls out packet) le Château de Haut Koenigsbourg, an Alsace Memorial museum and Kaysersberg (a city with a castle? I don't know. that's what it looks like on the pamphlet). Can't wait! There will be many pictures and narrations soon. À plus!

3 comments:

Paulita said...

Those wispy-cloud feelings skittering through your stomach, telling you that something isn't right are bound to come and go while you're living away from home. Think of them like the waves in the Mediterranean, which I'm sure you'll visit soon, let the waves tug you and push you and just float with them until they get you to shore. Thanks for the vicarious trip.

Mark said...

So good to hear from you again! And once again you've brought me to France for but a moment! :) Though you may not have become French, it sounds like you are being mistaken for one... Enjoy the excursion. Looking forward to hearing about it too.

Michelle said...

Your Grandmi and Great Grandmi would say you can not become what you already are...French. You will though have a tough time getting rid of your accent. ;)
The bike ride and skipping classes sound like wonderful adventures. And a castle...I look forward to reading about your visit. You know, your English Great Grandmum said we had a castle in Europe somewhere, I'm thinking it is most likely in Germany. If you notice any familiar looking faces in the portraits hanging on the castle walls, take pictures and names! :)
Je t'aime beaucoup!