Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Little of My Geeky Side

Hey all! Today was awesome! There's nothing like starting off your day with a little success. You know, just to keep in your back pocket, for when you fall off your bike or something.
A rose in the vineyard.
But yes, the rumors are true. I got the ICRP (Integrative Cultural Research Project) that I've been dreaming about! The plan is that I will be going to a French knit shop for an average of four hours a week and experiencing an aspect of everyday French culture in the process. To make this wonderful experience possible, I had to go out and create it. My program coordinator didn't express much confidence in my idea of working at a knit shop when I proposed it at our meetings, mostly since "no one has done that before", so I went out with fairly low expectations. BUT, I found out that showing up is the most important part. I could have called it quits when I agreed to a plan B (working at a market at 6am on Wednesdays), or when I was turned down from the first shop I visited, but no! I went to Elle Tricote ("She Knits") from the directions given to me by the clerk from the first shop and learned my lesson. The worst that could happen was that they could say "No, sorry. And I have no idea who else you could go to. And you smell bad."
The bookbinder who we visited
on Saturday after hiking.
Elle Tricote is perfect. They have gorgeous yarns of all types and shades, some of which I recognize, in a lovely shop. They even have Rowan magazines! And, get this! The lady who knits the sample items that are on display around the shop, her name is Mireille too! It was meant to be. All they'd need is a cat in the back room and a dance studio around the corner and I think I'd have a cardiac arrest. From the half hour I talked with the ladies there, I am planning on going to a class-group meeting like event on Saturday afternoons as well as whenever I have time during the week (but not on Mondays because "no one comes in on Mondays" and I wouldn't be able to practice my speaking as well). The reason I ended up chatting with her for so long is because she started quizzing me on my knowledge of knitting, from types of fibers to company names to the names for how they're wound. I spit out many English terms that simply sounded off refracting off the soft, French hanks and skeins on the shelves; my homework is cutout for me.
Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the shop yet, my mind was elsewhere. But if you like, you can look at the tiny images on their web site: http://www.elletricote.com/ (I'm at the Strasbourg location. And the woman I talked to is the owner; her picture is there).
The rest of my day today was a tad blurred by my extreme giddiness and pride of being one of the first people on my program to go out and find their ICRP. I became 'The One Who Did' and a motivational speaker upon my return to campus. When I emailed our program coordinator and told her about my achievement, she said she was "impressed" and "proud". Does anyone else usually find their ICRP?
Anywho, I think I tooted my own horn enough in this post. Good thing my room is fairly dull so as to not damage my ever expanding ego. But hey, I improved my 'getting-guts-up' time from 30 minutes to 30 seconds in this process. Oh! And the Paris trip is a go.
-A what?
-Ago.
-You already went?
-No, I'm leaving on Friday morning.
-Ohhh.
-À plus!

2 comments:

Paulita said...

I love that you can have conversations with yourself. You could speak English as one person and French as the other and have a miscommunication - with yourself. Congrats!

Michelle said...

Mirae to Mireille can now be Mireille to Mireille in the knit shop! Soo meant to be. They are sure to know your knitting talents as soon as you have needles in hand. Since your american needles are in transit, you MUST purchase french needles and yarn. hau, hau, hau (how do you type the french laugh of being sneaky/ingenious?). Congratulations! You are a dream maker! AND Paris!! Oh la la! Let the skipping continue!!
Je t'aime beaucoup!!