Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Freedom to Dance

Today was a huge success of a day. HUGE! I didn't have class until 15h00 (3pm) so I spent the morning sleeping in a bit, and just taking my time. On the spur of the moment (you will soon find that that was the theme of my day today), I decided to take the tram downtown and meet up with my friends for lunch (taking the tram was the spur of the moment thing, lunch was planned). I got there early, and while waiting for people to finish classes, I got talking to one of my friends from Lewis and Clark. She had found an African dance class with live drummers that meets on Tuesday nights! I know, so cool! Anyway, she invited me to join her and one of her classmates as they checked out the first class today. And I of course, following the theme of my day, said yes. Best decision ever. There is no way to describe how much a hardwood floor and a mirrored wall feel like home to me. Just walking into the class room and seeing everyone dressed and chatting pre-class chatter, oh! I came alive. Not that I've been dead or anything, I went to the movie instead, remember? ;)
My second best decision of the day was going to the mall with my friends for lunch. What's that? A mall in France you ask? Sadly, it's true. What made it even more weird is that throughout the entire time I was shopping, there were American songs playing. But I was able to buy notebooks and paper for classes, as well as a new bag (yes, I held out for over a week!) and a pair of cute black flats! Bags and shoes, what more could a girl want? I almost bought a pair of boots too, but I decided that I didn't want my purchasing to send up any red flags back at the ranch (and they weren't THAT cute anyway). But don't worry, I'll find some before the snow comes.
Oof, I'm tiggered. After an afternoon of shopping and learning as well as an hour and a half of dancing (not counting walking commute time) I's sleepy. But first, this post needs a picture.
The door leading into my
host mom's apartment.
There! À plus!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Yeah! African dancing!! How apropos - bringing your French and African heritages together!! No wonder you felt alive!! Keep finding yourself, everyday.